So I’ve been packing and repacking for the camino – and I’ve got myself steady at 6kg at the moment, probably a little less.
So what am I bringing?
- 1 pair flip flops, 1 pair walking shoes (not pictured)
- 1 rain poncho, 1 emergency blanket (both not picture)
- 1 sleeping bag liner, 1 bed bug sheet
- 1 travel towel, 1 bottle all purpose shampoo/laundry etc soap
- 1 pair windproof trousers, 1 pair shorts
- 1 long sleeved shirt, 1 windproof light jacket
- 1 t-shirt, 1 tank top
- 2 pairs lining socks, 2 pairs merino wool hiking socks
- 1 portable clothesline, 1 universal bath plug, 1 headlamp
- 1 sarong (useful for EVERYTHING), 1 pair of pyjamas
- 1 canvas tote
- 1 journal, 1 copy of the bhagavad gita, maps of the walk
- 1 pilgrim’s passport, regular passport, 2 pens
- 1 sporknife (spoon/fork/knife combo), 1 water bottle
- ipod, mobile, camera and requisite chargers
- Toiletries: comb, vaseline, body butter, tiger balm, anti-blister balm, compeed, antihistamines and antihistamine cream, tea tree oil, sunscreen, painkillers, toothbrush, toothpaste, deoderant, plasters, bug spray
The places where I haven’t invested in good kit:
- raingear/waterproofs. My boots are waterproof and I have a decent compact poncho, but I’m gambling on summer weather.
- sleeping bag – many pilgrim’s hostels don’t provide blankets, and I’m also gambling that it won’t be too cold at night.
- sleeping mat – I’m hoping there will be beds left in most places, and I won’t have to sleep on the floor.
- Leatherman tool and decent sunglasses. I really really want a leatherman – but I’m trying to do this on the cheap – so it’ll have to wait. 😦